Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Warm Apple-y Goodness

We woke up this morning to a wonderfully delicious smell. Why? Because I made breakfast last night!  There had been a recipe circulating Facebook that I tried to resist  (don't even get me started on Facebook recipes!) but finally my curiosity got the better of me and I clicked on it. Initially the recipe looked really good, but after reading the comments & reviews it was clear that it was a miss.  But the idea behind a slow cooker breakfast intrigued me, so I decided to tweak the recipe and try out a combination of my own. The result? A yummy apple cinnamon porridge that we all gobbled up (even the hubby). My boys even asked for seconds, which they almost never do at breakfast. So I'd call this one a success!


Slow Cooker Apple Pie Oatmeal

3 Apples, sliced
1/2 cup Brown Sugar, divided
1 heaping tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
2 cups Steel Cut Oats
2 cups Water
2 cups Milk
Pinch of salt

Grease slow cooker (I used Pam). Slice apples and toss in  3-4 TBSP of brown sugar, a dash of cinnamon, and a pinch of salt. Layer apples on the bottom of the slow cooker until evenly covered.  Pour steel cut oats on top of apples (DO NOT use quick oats or regular oats - they will turn to mush).  Sprinkle remaining brown sugar, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice evenly over the oats.  Gently pour in the water and milk. Turn slow cooker on LOW for 6-7 hours (no need to preheat). Go to sleep, and wake up to the most tantalizing smell and a delicious breakfast. Serve with milk and a tiny dusting of white sugar to bring out the flavors.
Serves 6.

And it really is that easy! I have a timer on my slow cooker so I was able to set if for a certain time, but if you don't, you can turn it off after the desired cooking time and it will stay warm for a couple of hours. Also, I have a large slow cooker so I made a large enough recipe so that it would not cook to quickly or burn on. If you have a smaller slow cooker, adjust the recipe. The apples should not be more than a layer or two in the bottom of the pot, so let the amount of apples that you need be your guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment