Saturday, September 14, 2013

123 Pickles


We are a pickle-loving family. I love this recipe because it is so simple, and we love the combination of flavors to get a pickle that is just a little sweet.  This year I used up my different sizes of cucumbers to make pickles 3 different ways. Whole, long slivered, and sliced. I got this recipe from my hubby's grandma when we were first married and it's a keeper! Over the years I have tweaked it a little and added a few of my own ingredients as well.

1-2-3 Pickles

1 Cup Sugar
2 Cups Vinegar
3 Cups Water
1 Tablespoon Pickling Spice
3 Tablespoons coarse Salt
6 Garlic Cloves
3 Pickling Onions
Pickling Cucumbers
Dill

Place a sprig of dil, a garlic clove, and a pickling onion into the bottom of each jar.  Tightly pack jar with cucumbers.  Place an additional garlic clove on top of the cucumbers. Bring all remaining ingredients just before a boil on the stove top.  Pour mixture over cucumbers.  Steam in a warm bath canner for no more than 4 minutes or your pickles will be soggy.  For full flavor, wait about 2 months before eating, though they are still yummy if you only wait a week or two.



No comments:

Post a Comment