Saturday, September 14, 2013

Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies


I have one word to describe these cookies: WOW.  I have been trying to consume less sugar in my diet lately, but I have such a terrible sweet tooth that I was driving myself batty not eating any sweets.  On my quest for healthy recipes, I came across this gem. I admit I was skeptical at first but now I'm a believer! Each time I pop one of these little babies into my mouth I can hardly believe it. I find myself mentally recalling each ingredient, sure that I will come up with something unhealthy that is making them so delightful.  But this is one recipe that is actually NOT too good to be true! They are truly healthy and will satisfy those sweet cravings.

Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies

3 large bananas, ripe and well mashed (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup coconut oil, warmed
2 cups rolled oats
2/3 cup almond meal (I made my own)
1/3 cup unsweetened coconut
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon sea salt, fine grain
1 teaspoon baking powder
6-7 ounces dark chocolate chips








Preheat oven to 350 degrees, placing racks in the top third of the oven.  In a large bowl, combine the bananas, vanilla, and coconut oil.  Set aside. In another bowl whisk together the oats, almond meal, shredded coconud, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder.  Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips. Drop dollops of dough about 2 teaspoons in size onto cookie sheet (either grease or use parchment paper).  Bake for 12-14 minutes. Do not underbake, you want the tops to be golden and the bottoms to be nicely brown.


To make your own almond meal:

Place blanched, slivered or chopped almonds into food processer.

Grind until you have a fine, consistent texture. There you go - you are set!



No comments:

Post a Comment